Our Michiana area is brimming with several biking and running events during the next 3 weeks. You still have the opportunity to get involved in outdoor healthy activities as an active participant or as a volunteer, and in some cases you can do both.
Time is flying by — sign up today!
Please see below for a calendar of events:
1. Bike the Bend, an inaugural bike ride, will be held on Sunday, May 23 from 6:30AM-11:30AM
The ride is from Riverfront Park in Mishawaka and follows a well-marked route along the St. Joseph River up to St. Pat’s Park; the entire round-trip ride will be 30 miles, but you may enter the course at any convenient point to set your own distance. We invite riders of all ages, speeds, and skills to join in the event. All roads will be closed to motor vehicle traffic and supervised by South Bend and Mishawaka police and volunteers.
The ride starts at 6:30 AM and ends at 11:30AM. Mishawaka is hosting an after the ride party on Kamm Island and all riders are invited to enjoy the entertainment. Food vendors will be on hand.
Visit the website at www.bikethebend.com and sign up as a rider or volunteer or both.
2. Bike to Work Week follows the Bike the Bend ride during the week of May24 – May 28th.
Events include Monday’s Bike to Lunch from 11:00-1:00 at the Jon Hunt Plaza in front of the Morris Civic Theater in downtown South Bend where there will be festivities and a box lunch available for purchase. Local vendors will be present.
3. First Source Bank is sponsoring a Bike Corral. Bike commuters in the downtown area will have a secure place to leave their bikes during BTWW. You may park your bike in the Bike Corral at the College Football Hall of Fame for FREE from 7:00AM – 6:00PM Monday through Friday during this week. Downtown South Bend (DTSB) personnel will be monitoring the corral.
4. Memorial Health and Lifestyle Center is offering free showers from 5:30-9:00am for bike commuters and special short term summer monthly memberships. Just tell the front desk you are a Bike to Work Week commuter.
5. LePeep restaurant is offering free coffee from 6:30-9:00 am and Bike to Work Week specials at their outdoor café.
6. LaSalle Grill is hosting their second annual organic blueberry pancake breakfast from 7:00-9:00AM on Wednesday, May26. Breakfast is free for those that bike to the event. The block of Colfax Ave in front of the LaSalle Grill will be closed to accommodate the event. Come early!
7. The first ever Bike To School Bike Train will be held on Thursday, May 27th. Students from St. Pius School will meet at Knollwood country club at 7:15 am and ride their bikes in a group to the school (about a 3 mile ride). They will have parent and police support. We are seeking MBA and BMC cyclists to ensure safety and order.
8. Thursday, May 27, Memorial Hospital will be sponsoring Midway Station at North Village Mall where bikers from the north can meet and with the company of fellow commuters bike toward downtown South Bend via the bike trails. Parking will be available in the lot and coffee and a snack will be provided by Memorial Hospital.
9. Monday-Friday, May24-28, Avenue Bike Station, 2716 Mishawaka Ave. SB
Mobil repairs, emergency car to work, quick flat repair
Water-bathroom 855-BIKE Scott and Hannah Kelsey, proprietors
Form a team and compete with teams for a grand prize for most miles ridden during Bike to Work Week. Go to www.MichianaBiketoWork.org to sign up.
Sunburst Races (Saturday, June 5th)
Run or volunteer at www.SunburstRaces.org.
Marathon, ½ marathon, 10k run, 5k run and 5k fitness walk. Take advantage of the incentive of $100 for bringing 10 volunteers. Their needs are cyclists as course marshals and volunteers at water stops.
Contact Ann Moran @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: Judy Lee, 574-360-3472