About a month ago, I wrote a few paragraphs musing over the possibility of a Courteous Mass in South Bend. While we haven’t worked out all the details yet, a few folks over on the Bike Michiana Google Group decided to give it a trial, experimental shot this month.
This Friday, September 26th at 6:00pm, at Leeper Park, South Bend will get its first Courteous Mass. This will just be an easy-does-it, 30- to 45-minute slow ride around South Bend. I’m thinking something like 3-5 miles.
Some provisional ground rules:
- Play nice! If we get honked at or yelled at, keep your cool at the very least. At best, wave and smile.
- I’m NOT the leader/organizer of this ride, and in fact this ride has no leadership.
- This ride is in the hands of those who show up and make their opinions known. It’s up to all of us to self-police this ride and enforce a social norm of courteousness, sharing, respect, and fun.
- This is a ride for everyone! Bring out your scraper bikes, your carbon zoot, your tallbikes, your huddled Huffies yearning to breathe free. The corollary is that the ride must go SLOW. I’m talking 6-11 mph. Joggers should be able to keep up or pass us.
- Follow the laws. Stop at stop signs and lights, ride on the right, and obey police orders.
- Bring your sense of humor, zaniness, and hilarity! This isn’t a militant protest, it’s a celebration! Bring poetry, boomboxes, costumes, flags, banners, whatever! Courteous Mass is a party on wheels!
Some things are going to need to get worked out on the fly: Where to ride? Two abreast or not? Standardized route or not? Bring ideas for how to make the best Courteous Mass we can!
Below is a map to the location. If you can dig it, I hope to see you there!