The BMC was formed during the first Michiana Bike Summit which was organized by Jeff Nixa and held on August 7th, 2008.
Founded in 2008, the Bike Michiana Coalition (BMC) is a 501 c (3) local bicycle advocacy organization with the primary goals of facilitating communication between other bicycle groups and advocating action and education as needs arise in the Michiana community. BMC also initiates and promotes cycling events through various groups, including: Bike the Bend, Bike to Work Week, Bike Michiana for Hospice, Urban Adventure and EcoFest.
The Bike Michiana Coalition seeks a more bicycle-friendly community by:
- Encouraging bicycling for commuting and recreation;
- Expanding and improving bicycle infrastructure; and
- Educating citizens and government about bicycle safety, laws and the community benefits of cycling.
- Bicyclists feel safe riding throughout Michiana
- Bicyclists of all ages are taught safe bicycling in the community and schools
- Traffic laws pertaining to bicycles are clear and facilitate safe cycling
- Traffic laws are obeyed by, and enforced for, both cyclists and motorists
- Employers and schools encourage bicycle commuting
- Bicycle access, safety and infrastructure are integrated into the planning of any public or private construction project
- Partnerships are fostered between bicyclists and community health care, environmental and sustainability groups
- All of Michiana is recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community