Learn new riding skills that will build your confidence while riding on the road. Danny Graber, a League of American Bicyclists certified safety instructor, will be teaching a safety course at the South Bend YMCA in September. See below for all of the class details, or follow this LINK for a PDF document that can be printed and posted. You can contact Danny at (574) 266-4265 (home) or (574) 370-6192 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Road 1: Bicycling Safety Course
Being safe while bicycling should be the first priority of every person on a bicycle. The Road I course, designed by the League of American Bicyclists, can give you renewed confidence on your bicycle as a commuter, while running errands, or when riding recreationally.
• Your rights as a bicyclist;
• How to share the road and have motorists show respect for your rights while using public roads and streets; and
• Riding techniques that build your confidence.
Who can Enroll
This course is designed for bicycle commuters, recreational riders, touring or club cyclists, parents that ride with their family, or people that just want to get around town. Beginners and more experienced riders will learn how to safely and confidently use their bicycle in all types of road, traffic, and weather conditions.
How to Enroll
To enroll, call the YMCA at (574) 287-9622, ask for the Road I Bicycling Safety Course
At the South Bend YMCA, 1201 Northside Blvd, (just a little west of IUSB), Room Number (to be announced)
Four Thursday evenings, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., September 4, 11, 18, & 25, 2008
$25, per student, includes safety manuals and other materials
• Your legal rights and responsibilities as a bicycle driver under the Indiana Vehicle Code
• Day and night visibility so you are detected and recognized
• Where to ride between intersections on all types of streets
• Hoe to use bike lanes and how to ride when there are none
• How to safely cross intersections and interchanges, including four ways to make left turns
• How to outfit yourself and your bike for convenient utility transportation
• The course includes several hours of on-bike experience, practicing safety techniques
Course Requirements and Materials
• Class is limited to the first ten, paid students.
• Each student must have a helmet and bring a bicycle (in good repair) to the second and third classes. (Wear comfortable riding clothes.)
• Each student will receive a safety manual published by the League of American Bicyclists
• Rain dates will be set if inclement weather does not allow the scheduled riding/practice times.
• Each student must pass an open-book, multiple-choice exam.
• Each student will receive a certificate of completion by the League of American Bicyclists
The course will be taught by Danny Graber, a League of American Bicyclist certified instructor (certificate # 1856). Danny has been an avid bicyclist for the last 30 years and has spent numerous years in building a better bicycle community. He is a board member of the Indiana Bicycle Coalition (representing northern Indiana) and also serves on two local bicycle safety awareness committees in Michiana and runs the annual Pumpkinvine Bike Ride. Danny can be reached at (574) 266-4265 (home) or (574) 370-6192 or email@example.com for more information about this class.